University Recreation offers American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification courses during the Spring Semester. Registration is open to members of the general public.
Registraion opens February 1, 2021.
Classes are taught with American Red Cross Social Distanced Guidelines to ensure the saftey of participants and instructors.
Register for lifeguard certification courses online through UREC Member Services (Only U of A students and faculty/staff are able to register online).
This is a Blended Learning course and will require completion of an online module before the first date of each session. The online module takes approximately 7 hours to complete. Registration closes one week prior to the class date, and you will receive online module information via email shortly after registration closes. Only U of A faculty/staff are able to register online. Additionally, participants must be able to fulfill all requirements listed below and will be tested on the first day of the class. If participants are unable to fulfill the requirements below during the testing period, no refund will be issued.
- 15 years old on or before the final scheduled class date.
- Swim 300 yards; continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or combination. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for two minutes using only the legs (candidates should place their hands under the arms).
- Complete the following timed sequence within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards (face may be in or out of the water, swim goggles are not allowed). Surface dive (feet-first or head-first) to a depth of seven to ten feet and retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface (candidates may not swim the distance under water). Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Spring 2021 Dates:
Registration opens February 1, 2021
Friday, April 16th: 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 17th: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 18th: 1:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday, May 14: 5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 15: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, May 16: 1:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
*Attendance at each date per session is required.
- $250.00 for U of A students
- $300.00 for non-students
Cancellation Fee: $25.00 until two weeks prior to the first class session; 50% of class cost until one week prior to class; 100% of class fee within one week of class
Refunds: Refunds will not be given if participants are unable to complete the course requirments during the testing period on the first day of the course, or if participants are not present for all listed days and times for each session.
For more information about the Lifeguard certification courses conducted through University Recreation, contact Laura Hudson.
For more information about the American Red Cross Lifeguard curriculum, or to search other classes offered in the area, visit the American Red Cross Training & Certification page.