Policies & Procedures
These policies are taken from Section 3 of the UREC Facility Operations handbook.
- Use of University Facilities (Board Policy 705.1)
- Use of University Facilities & Outdoor Space (Fayetteville Policies and Procedures 708.0)
- University Recreation has a prioritized schedule allocating space to academic classes, University Recreation programs & offerings, and the varsity women's swim/dive team.
- Space may be reserved by other organizations based on availability, size and functionality.
- The priority use of the HPER Building shall be the support of the mission of the Department of University Recreation.
- The facility rental fee was established as a revenue stream for the Facilities Management program to offset expenses related to administration, facility equipment, facility maintenance and supplies, programming, capital improvement projects in the facility, and salaries.
- The HPER Building is scheduled and administered according to a priority use system approved in May, 1983 and revised in February, 1989 by the HPER Advisory Board, the Dean of the College of Education, and Central Administration.
- The general priority use system is listed below. Rooms, activity areas, and/or times not listed under special considerations will follow the general use priority ranking.
General Use Priorities
|General Use Priorities|
|First Priority||HHPR scheduled classes/ events|
|Second Priority||University Recreation Programs|
|Third Priority||Other University Functions|
|Fourth Priority||Non-university Functions|
- In the following spaces, University Recreation has priority from 6:00 a.m. - 8:30
a.m. and from 4:30 p.m. - Midnight, Monday - Friday and Saturday and Sunday:
- Racquetball courts, Donna Axum Fitness Center, Gyms 1-4, Room 320, and the Jogging Track
- One or two gyms may be scheduled for HHPR classes during these times.
Natatorium Priority Scheduling
- University of Arkansas Swimming & Diving Program:
- Monday through Friday: 6:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
- Monday through Friday: 2:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- University Recreation
- Monday through Friday: 11:00 a.m. - 1:50 p.m.
- Monday through Friday: 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday
- Monday through Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Monday through Friday: 1:50 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Notwithstanding the priorities stated above, the Natatorium will be made available for varsity swim meets, provided that the meets are on the yearly schedule submitted by the Swim Coach and approved by UREC/HHPR Staff.
University Recreation Sports Complex
|University Recreation Sports Complex|
|First Priority||University Recreation|
|Second Priority||HHPR scheduled classes/ events|
|Third Priority||Other University Functions|
|Fourth Priority||Non-university Functions|
- The organizer must be present throughout the event with a copy of the confirmation e-mail and present the form to UAPD if requested.
- The event may be terminated by UAPD for failure to have a copy of the approved reservation form on the premises.
- The Donna Axum Fitness Center and faculty lounge are not available for reservations.
- Due to the high usage in these areas, reservations in the gymnasiums are restricted to events with 20 or more estimated participants.
- Requests from individual members and/or groups with less than 20 people may not be approved and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine if the reservation is an effective use of space and resources.
- Reservations on the track are restricted to rain-out locations for outdoor events, such as walk-a-thons.
- The track may not be reserved for individuals and/or running groups.
- Hallways and foyers are available for tabling to university-affiliated events and/or programs benefiting the overall mission of University Recreation and/or the Department of Health, Human Performance, and Recreation.
- All tabling requests must be approved prior to the event by UREC personnel.
- Notification of an RSO fundraising event must be submitted and approved by the Office of Center for Leadership & Community Engagement at least two weeks prior to the event date.
- A copy of the approved form must be submitted to UREC via fax (479-575-7008) or email (email@example.com).
- The reservation request will not be approved until a copy of this form has been received.
- Fundraisers do not receive special or discounted rates. Standard facility, supervision and equipment rates apply.
- Decorations may not compromise public safety or create risk of property damage.
- They must not interfere with access to entrances/exits.
- Decorations must be free-standing, including signs.
- Duct tape, glue, tacks and nails may not be used on any floor or wall surface. It is recommended you use quick release tape, packing tape, or poster putty for securing decorations.
- Directional and/or promotional signage is not permitted without approval from UREC personnel.
- Extension cords and power strips are available upon request. Fees may apply.
- The group is responsible for removing all decorations upon conclusion of the event.
- Loose decorations such as glitter, confetti, or beads are not permitted in UREC facility spaces.
- Open flame candles are not allowed.
Events requiring significant set-up and tear-down, as well as those with multiple spaces, will require the presence of a facility supervisor. Staff may be assigned under UREC’s discretion based off of event details.
- All Natatorium events require supervision. One lifeguard will be added for every 25 people in attendance. The fee to hire a lifeguard is $15.00/hour/lifeguard.
- Specialty staffing (i.e. supervisors, lifeguards, officials, fitness instructors) must be arranged at least one week prior to the event.
- Supervision fees range from $11.00 - $19.00/hr./employee depending on what level of supervision is required and the time period the facilities are reserved.
To ensure the safety and security for on-campus events, UAPD shall be informed of all on-campus events with an expected attendance of 500 people or more.
- If you would like to reserve any equipment for your event, make sure to include that information on the online facility request form.
- All equipment requests must be received at least 48 business hours prior to the event, so that, UREC personnel can confirm that the equipment is available for use and include the rental fee in the final invoice.
- Any set-up and/or tear down of UREC equipment will be completed by our staff. If you have specific set up instructions for your event, those instructions must be included with your request.
- Any recreational equipment reserved will be available for pick up at the Service Center on the 2nd Floor of the HPER Building.
- The main contact for the event is responsible for the return of any/all reserved equipment.
- Equipment must be returned on the same day of check-out.
- The full reimbursement/ replacement cost will be charged to the group for equipment that is lost or damaged.
- Events sponsored by external organizations are required to show proof of liability insurance (minimum of a $1,000,000 policy).
- A copy of the insurance form must be on file prior to confirming the event.
- Non-compliance with this policy will result in the cancellation of the event by University Recreation.
- Please include on the certificate that University of Arkansas shall be named the certificate holder as additional insured:
Board of Trustees, acting for and on behalf of:University of ArkansasOffice of Business Affairs, ADMN 321Fayetteville, AR 72701
- A $250.00 chemical fee will be added for specialized uses in the HPER Natatorium; such as large swim meets or other activities which demand a high chemical use.
- Large events and/or events outside normal hours of operation may require additional building security, staff, and custodians at an additional cost. (see Staffing/Supervision)
- A $25.00 cancellation fee will be charged for cancellations made within 14 days of a scheduled event.
- Cancellations made with less than 7 business days' notice will result in 50% of the invoice being owed plus the cancellation fee.
- Cancellations made with less than two business days’ notice will be invoiced the full amount owed plus the cancellation fee.
- Cancellations and/or changes to an event must be submitted in writing by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Groups that fail to show up for a scheduled event will be invoiced the full amount owed plus a $25.00 no show fee and reservation privileges may be revoked.
- Reserved spaces will be released 30 minutes after a scheduled event’s start time if a group fails to show up and/or communicate issues ahead of time.
- Groups that fail to pay or have a returned check will be prohibited from using any UREC facility until payment is received in full.
- In the event of inclement weather, rain-checks can be made for an alternative date or other areas of the building can be utilized as back-up locations (i.e. gymnasiums for recreational activities).
- Accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis depending on your preferences and/or the circumstances.
- A refund may be approved if the payment has already been processed for an event cancelled due to inclement weather.
- Any event requesting an indoor “rain location” site to hold a date/time/location as a backup for an outdoor event must pay a $50.00 hold fee in advance, to hold the space.
- Using UREC Facilities
- If UREC Facilities are used for the event, the hold fee will be credited back to the
final invoice owed.
- Total due= Full Invoice – $50.00 hold fee
- If UREC Facilities are used for the event, the hold fee will be credited back to the final invoice owed.
- Not Using UREC Facilities
- If the decision is made more than seven days prior to the event to not use UREC Facilities, the hold fee will be credited back
and the event will be cancelled.
- Total due=$0.00, hold fee credited back
- If the decision is made within seven days prior to the event to not use UREC Facilities, no additional fees will apply.
- Total due=$50.00 hold fee
- If the decision is made less than two business days prior to the event to not use UREC Facilities, the full invoice will be charged.
- Total due=$50.00 hold fee + full invoice
- If the decision is made the day-of the event to not use UREC Facilities, the full invoice will be due and an administrative fee
($25.00) will be added to the invoice.
- Total due=$50.00 hold fee + full invoice + $25.00 admin. fee
- If the decision is made more than seven days prior to the event to not use UREC Facilities, the hold fee will be credited back and the event will be cancelled.
No Show Policies
- No Show Policies apply for any group that does not show up for their scheduled event (Fees Applying). See the Cancellations and No Show Policies section for more information.
- The requester is expected to leave the room in the same condition in which it was found.
- Any group or individual that causes damage to University property must pay any charges necessary to return the property to its original state; University employees, students or organizations may also be subject to disciplinary action.
- Groups will be charged a $50.00 cleaning fee for any special cleaning or maintenance incurred upon UREC.
- Any facility and/or equipment damage incurred during an event as a result of improper behavior or misuse will be charged to the rental party, at the equivalent retail price for replacement and/or labor charges.