This course is designed to prepare individuals to take the ACE Personal Trainer certification exam. This 10-week course provides curriculum and materials consisting of PowerPoint presentations, textbook, lectures, interactive group activities, practical programming/training. The Prep Course does not certify individuals as personal trainers. Individuals wishing to become a certified personal trainer must register separately for an ACE PT exam at www.acefitness.org.
UREC is proud to host nationally accredited certifications in a variety of areas including group fitness and personal training. Special interest classes and programs are also offered periodically throughout the year.
This 10-week training course to develop individuals knowledge and skills to become a group fitness instructor. The course will provide participants with curriculum and materials consisting of powerpoint presentations, lectures, interactive group activities, and practical programming/training for the American Council on Exercise Group Fitness Certification.
Fall 2022 dates
September 12 - November 17, 2022
Come learn how to structure, prepare, and teach an indoor cycle class on UREC's Schwinn bikes. Class is open to those interested in teaching for UREC. There are only 10 spots available, so please make sure to contact Aryn ahead of time to register and save a spot!
- When: Fall: September 23rd
- Time: 1-3pm
- Where: UREC Cycle Studio (1st floor of the HPER)
- Who: University of Arkansas students
- Cost: FREE
- Registration: Aryn Chambliss firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I become a group fitness instructor for UREC?
- There are 2 options for becoming a group fitness instructor at UREC. You may enroll in the ACE Group Fitness Prep Course offered in the Spring, which will prepare you to pass the ACE Group Fitness Instructor Certification Exam and will provide you with experience teaching to a group of individuals. The other option is to gain a group fitness certification of your choosing and interview and audition with the graduate assistant for group fitness.
Where can I get a group fitness certification?
- Group fitness certifications are offered both online and in-person. The 5 most common group fitness certifications are obtained through ACE, ACSM, AFAA, ISSA, or NETA.
How can I become a barre instructor?
- UREC barre instructors must be certified to teach barre. Some barre certifications include Barre Above, IBBFA, and Barre Intensity. Other barre certifications are offered and work as well.
How can I become a Zumba instructor?
- UREC Zumba instructors must be certified to teach Zumba. Zumba trainings and certifications must be up to date.
How can I become a yoga instructor at UREC?
- There are 2 options for becoming a yoga instructor at UREC. Instructors may have a 200 hour Yoga Teacher training and certification or may have a Yoga Fit 1 certification in some cases with an outstanding interview and audition. Some of the most common yoga certifications are obtained through Yoga Fit, The Kaivalya Yoga Method, YogaRenew, and My Vinyasa Practice. Other yoga trainings and certifications are offered and work as well.
Do I have to be a student at the University of Arkansas to teach for UREC?
- You do not have to be a student at the University of Arkansas to teach for UREC.
Who should I contact if I am interested in teaching for UREC?
- Casey Fant, the Assistant Director for Fitness/Wellness at email@example.com or Aryn Chambliss, the Graduate Assistant for Group Fitness at firstname.lastname@example.org