Student Employee Development
University Recreation provides many opportunities to the enhance professional development, programming includes a 6-week long development training, lunch and learn opportunities, and drop in events.
UREC University is a 6-week program for University Recreation Student Staff to aid in professional development. At the conclusion of this program, employees will:
- Appreciate different styles of leadership and different perspectives
- Enhance personal growth and identity development
- Improve student success through co-curricular learning and experiences
The Fall 2017 session is now underway. Please check back in December for Spring 2018 Information!
Any questions or comments can be directed to the Graduate Assistant of Student Staff Development, Abby Blumberg.
This lunch and learn series aims to provide education to improve out-of-classroom experiences and enhance life skills. Based on the University of Arkansas Wellness Initiative, each Brain Food session will focus on one of the eight dimensions of wellness. Sessions for Fall 2017 will include:
- Managing Your Money (Financial Wellness)
- Finessing Into Fitness (Physical Wellness)
- Detain the Strain (Emotional Wellness)
- Your Environmental Responsibility (Environmental Wellness)
- Tweet Your Resume (Occupational Wellness)
- Mind Full or Mindful? (Spiritual Wellness)
Click here to register.
- Personal Budgeting (Financial)
- Career Builder (Occupational)
- Healthy Eating (Physical)
- Defining You (Social)
University Recreation honors it's 450-plus employees at the conclusion of each semester. It is important to share our appreciation of the role each staff member plays in making University Recreation programs and facilities a success.
The purpose of the University Recreation Student Staff Professional Development Fund is to support and promote continuing education and professional development. The fund will provide financial assistance to currently employed UREC Student Staff and UREC Graduate Assistants for certifications, trainings, conference registration and other activities that will further the applicant’s professional development and be of benefit to University Recreation and its membership.
Student Employee applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for funding:
- Actively employed by University Recreation for a minimum of 6 months
- Currently enrolled at least half-time at the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville
- Maintain a positive work history within University, not having been dismissed or suspended from any program area or position.
- Student employee must submit completed application and professional resume
- Student employee must submit two letters of evaluation, at least one of those must come from a University Recreation full-time staff member
- Committee will review applications using the criteria outlined below, student employee applicants will be notified of award/denial within 2 business days of being reviewed by committee
- If student employee accepts an award, they will submit a written evaluation of the professional development opportunity within 2 weeks of completion.
Application Review Criteria
Review of applications is based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to current position or future career aspiration
- Commitment to applying knowledge/training within University Recreation
- Letters of evaluation
- Accuracy, attention to detail, and demonstration of need
Letter of Evaluation:
Each letter should include evaluation of the applicant’s professionalism, accountability, communication, and teamwork. Additional information to inform the committee about the applicant’s experiences in campus recreation or future career goals are welcome.
Letters of evaluation from supervisors should be submitted to Becky Todd or in an enclosed envelope to the UREC Main Office.
Please contact Abby Blumberg with any questions.