Student Employee Development
University Recreation provides many opportunities to the enhance professional development, programming includes a 6-week long development training, lunch and learn opportunities, and drop in events.
UREC University is a professional development program for UREC student staff. Based on Astin's Social Change Model of Leadership, students will learn about the talents they possess through StrengthsQuest, be challenged to examine and dissect their own leadership skills and abilities, learn how to apply their leadership in a group setting, and discuss how their leadership can contribute to their community.
UREC University consists of UREC U 101: Self Discovery and UREC U 201: Collaboration. At the conclusion of this program, employees will have a personal branding statement they can use when pursuing leadership opportunities and during their job search.
This is an opportunity to network with other UREC staff and practice your small talk skills.
- Thursday, August 30, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. at Einstein's in Willard J. Walker Hall
- Wednesday, February 26, 1:30-2:30 p.m. at Hill Coffee Company in the Union
- Tuesday, March 17, 2:30-3:30 p.m. in HPER 103
- Friday, April 24, 9:00-10:00 a.m. at Hill Coffee Company in the Union
University Recreation honors it's 380+ employees during National Student Employee Appreciation Week (April 13-17, 2020) and during the Honors and Awards Celebration at the conclusion of spring semester (April 29).
UREC also announces UREC All-Stars every quarter.
The purpose of the University Recreation Student Staff Professional Development Fund is to support and promote continuing education and professional development. The fund will provide financial assistance to currently employed UREC Student Staff and UREC Graduate Assistants for certifications, trainings, conference registration and other activities that will further the applicant’s professional development and be of benefit to University Recreation and its membership.
Student Employee applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for funding:
- Actively employed by University Recreation for a minimum of 6 months
- Currently enrolled at least half-time at the University of Arkansas-Fayetteville
- Maintain a positive work history within University, not having been dismissed or suspended from any program area or position.
- Student employee must submit completed application and professional resume
- Student employee must submit two letters of evaluation, at least one of those must come from a University Recreation full-time staff member
- Committee will review applications using the criteria outlined below, student employee applicants will be notified of award/denial within 2 business days of being reviewed by committee
- If student employee accepts an award, they will submit a written evaluation of the professional development opportunity within 2 weeks of completion.
Application Review Criteria
Review of applications is based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to current position or future career aspiration
- Commitment to applying knowledge/training within University Recreation
- Letters of evaluation
- Accuracy, attention to detail, and demonstration of need
Letter of Evaluation:
Each letter should include evaluation of the applicant’s professionalism, accountability, communication, and teamwork. Additional information to inform the committee about the applicant’s experiences in campus recreation or future career goals are welcome.
Letters of evaluation from supervisors may be submitted to Becky Todd or included in the application.
Purpose: Serve as advocates for UREC student employees and the University of Arkansas student body; provide an avenue for feedback and suggestions to and from UREC students and professional staff.
Mission: To make a positive impact on the UREC student employee experience by creating opportunities for staff to provide feedback and make suggestions, increase their professional knowledge and skills, act ethically, and increase motivation. To make a positive impact on the programs and services UREC provides the University of Arkansas community.
- Chair - Madeline Hiegel
- Vice Chair - Erica Good
- Aquatics - Troy Warfield
- Facilities - Trey Standridge
- Fitness/Wellness - Katie Berry
- Intramural & Club Sports - Tenley Getschman
- Marketing - Michael Boyd
- Office - Wendy Stewart
- Outdoors - Zane Pitman
- At Large - Shea Lander
- At Large - Ty Langston
- At Large - Yinka Olusoji
- At Large - Ezequiel Tovar
To contact the board, email URECSEAB@uark.edu.
Board applications are open and UREC student employees can apply here.
Please contact UREC HR with any questions.